Expert Legal Services. Local Knowledge.

What To Do If You’re Served Divorce Papers

On Behalf of | Apr 25, 2023 | Divorce

When someone receives divorce papers it usually brings one of two responses. Either they have been expecting the papers for a while, and they are not surprised, or they find themselves in complete shock. No matter your initial reaction there’s a few things you should do, if you are served with divorce papers.

First and foremost, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. A law firm, such as Thomason, Swanson & Zahn, PLLC, can help you with your divorce and ensure all your legal rights and options are protected, even if you believe there is nothing unreasonable in the divorce papers. It is very important that this step be taken right away, even if it seems like there is a lot of time until the deadline. Remember, everything in the process takes time, getting things scheduled, meetings etc. The more proactive you are about this the smoother things can go.

An attorney can make the divorce process much easier for everyone involved, helping to maintain important deadlines, mediating stressful communications, and building your case. They can also help advise you on properly communicating with your spouse so you can make arrangements regarding your children on issues such as temporary custody, visitation rights, and parenting plan decisions.

You must also respond to the divorce papers within 30 days (in Minnesota). This is an important step in the process, and it alerts the courts that you want to be involved in the proceedings and that you will be exercising your rights. In addition to the response, your attorney may help you craft a counterclaim.

Discuss with your attorney how to start compiling financial records and take inventory of your individual assets. Having proof of what you’ve contributed to the marriage financially will help support your claims in the divorce papers and counterclaim.

A divorce is a major life change, but we are here to help guide you through the process.
Thomason, Swanson & Zahn, PLLC